15 December 2011


I know I really ought to be packing right now, but I have to write down some of my thoughts!

Ben and I got the job with that nice school.  It's in Yongin city, not too far from Seoul.  I've heard many reports of it being an awesome city, so that's good!  We got the unofficial offer Sunday, and we got the contract Monday night.  I turned in my notice at work on Tuesday and craziness has consistently ensued ever since.

The most stressful part:  they want us to move in two weeks.  Actually, they want us to be there on the 27th.  (AHHHHHHH!)  I told them I had to give my two-week notice at work, and I hope they got that.  Because I kind of need the extra day or two to move all our stuff up to Jonesboro... and to get Cat settled up there.  I don't know how she is going to react, and I'm kind of worried about her.  I never thought I would feel so protective about an animal, but she's important to us.  Hopefully we can get her moved to Korea quickly and safely... we just can't afford it (financially and time-wise) right now.

So to add to the stressful part of them wanting us to move in two weeks, we don't know when we are flying out.  Which means we are packing now, thinking later.  We're selling whatever we can, giving or throwing away the rest of what we don't want, and storing the rest at my mom's.  I hate packing, though.  Never was good at it.  And it's just Ben and me... no one to help.  Sigh.  Not that we can really afford the U-haul either...

I am excited, though.  I just wish all of this extraneous stuff would take care of itself!!

Note:  If anyone needs a dining table and chairs, couch, tv stand, or end tables, let us know!

11 December 2011

The waiting game.

Waiting is tortuous.  I've never been incredibly patient, and waiting to hear back from this school has been tying my insides in knots since our interview on Thursday.  The first school we had interviewed for (the shady one) offered us a contract within 24 hours, but we turned it down for obvious reasons.  We thought we might hear from the second school as quickly, until we realized that Friday evening for us was Saturday for them... so we've been on pins and needles waiting for news all weekend.  Ben's being much more chill about it.  As for me, I've felt sick off and on from the nerves all week, haha.

Worst case scenario:  we don't get an offer.  It won't be the end of the world, and we will continue to interview for jobs until we do find one.

Best case scenario:  we get an offer, and we leave for Korea in a month.  Which means this week I would have to put in notice at work and at the apartment, we would have to pack all of our stuff, and get ready for a really quick December.

Both scenarios seriously stress me out.  I'm still having difficulty figuring out how we will pay for everything if we leave in a month.

08 December 2011

Morning thoughts.

Well, here I am finishing a stale cup of coffee, thinking about what went down last night.
We had our first school "interview," which basically entailed talking to one of the teachers while the director was listening in.  Which basically means they probably couldn't be truthful about some stuff.

We had originally been scheduled to have two interviews last night.  The first one was rescheduled last minute because of an unforeseen situation arising at the school.  The second... well, they just forgot to call us, apparently.  I ended up having to e-mail the recruiter to make sure we got the interview... And they called us, about 45 minutes late.

The interview wasn't really like any interview I had ever had.  The fact that it was a teacher talking to us let our guards down a little bit (until we realized the director was there the whole time), and the guy was pleasant enough.  However, his lack of anything negative to say about his experience was a bit of a red flag for us.  Also, when he asked the director if she wanted to talk to us or if she had any questions for us, she said no.  The entire "interview" was pretty much the teacher asking if we had any questions.  He didn't ask too much about us, which was surprising.  The feeling we got out of the experience was strange... we couldn't tell if they were just feeling us out, or if they were confident about us and just making sure we didn't have any questions...  No e-mails from them since, and I have no idea if we're going to hear back from them at all.

The final weird thing about the interview happened when I asked the teacher for his e-mail address.  His e-mail had his full name, so we Googled the teacher.  None of his online presence has anything to say about being in Korea since August 2010.  In fact, his sites (Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Facebook) all say he is currently in law school in Washington DC...  Ben got upset over this.  It's hard to know who to trust, and when it looks like we're being played... that's disheartening.  I'm sure there is some possible explanation for it, but those explanations aren't exactly forthcoming, and it isn't a question one can just whip out in casual conversation online.

"So, like, were you lying that whole time?"

The good news is that we have this second interview tonight.  I hope it goes well... from what I've heard about the city and the possible school we're interviewing for, it's a really great job.  At this point, we're just needing some concrete information!  This constant limbo of waiting for job interviews is pretty nerve-racking.

I'll let you all know what happens next when I find out.