04 September 2010

Housewifery bizness.

Well, hello, blog-o-sphere. It's nice to be reacquainted with you. Can you imagine, I'm married now? I can hardly believe it myself. On August 7th, Ben and I stood on stage at Southwest Church in Jonesboro, and we said our vows in front of an audience of family and friends. Everyone said the ceremony was lovely. I don't remember much of it beyond the look in Ben's eyes and feeling very nervous. :)

We went to Chicago for our honeymoon, which was lots of fun. We stayed at the Rapphaello hotel right next to the John Hancock building, and we pretty much just did whatever we wanted for a week. It was nice.

Now, we are living in Maumelle. The apartment is a mess, which is partially my fault. I can't "nest" yet, knowing that we are going to be moving to Conway relatively soon. We've been having trouble finding a place in Conway this close to the start of the school year, particularly some place that allows pets, but doesn't require de-clawing cats. Narrows it down to, like, three complexes. As of last week no one had any openings for a one bedroom, but I just got an e-mail from the first place we had looked at, and they have something open NOW. I've got to talk to Ben about it when he gets up, because this may be our best chance since our lease is up in October.

Being a wife is fun. I've cooked several times, at least twice a week, which is definitely an improvement for me, and we eat leftovers when we can. We're trying to cut corners and save money wherever possible.

The only real stressors we have at the moment (aside from where we're going to be living) are our job situations. Neither of us are particularly happy about our current jobs, but neither of us can really leave these jobs without something else lined up. For me, I would love to do make-up for a living RIGHT NOW, but I can't. The only projects I've been getting this summer have been volunteer jobs, and that status doesn't seem to be lifting any time soon. I've toyed with the idea of applying to Sephora, which would be a step-up from slinging coffee and being emotionally abused 8 hours a day, but if we're moving to Conway, that'd mean commuting. Not the end of the world, but it would be a setback.

Ben's job is even worse, and he comes home from work frustrated and exhausted. We are surviving his overnight schedule, but to be absolutely frank, it SUCKS. We don't get to spend much time with each other outside of napping during the middle of the day together when I get off work or the brief moments before he has to leave for his job. This can occasionally rub either of us raw, causing us to be short with one another about little things. We're both frustrated with the situation... but are continually reminding ourselves that the situation is only temporary. God willing, he should be out of that bracket next spring.

As for make-up school plans, I wouldn't necessarily say they're on hold, but they're definitely not happening any time soon. I know Shauna entreated me during one of our last meetings to refuse any sort of delay, but it just can't be helped. Ben is stressing out because he wants to make my dreams happen (ahhh, but I love him), and he doesn't want to put any kinks into it by altering our financial situation if he quits. This puts me in an uncomfortable spot by making me feel that it's my own selfish desires that keeps him in his miserable job. The paranoid newlywed in me is worried that this may come up later to bite me. :/

Nevertheless, we are supporting one another emotionally, and we constantly remind ourselves that no matter what happens, we have each other. We will get to where we want to go somehow-- it just may not be in the manner we had planned.

Above all, we are abundantly blessed, and it's good to be alive and to be together.

Over and out,

Rebekah Suzanne Howard

p.s. If any of you want to see the proofs from the wedding, you can view them on my cousin's website, http://www.lorisparkman.instaproofs.com, and click on "Bekah and Ben: Wedding!".

1 comment:

Melco said...

What a lovely wedding! Congrats! <3